Hezbollah, Lebanon, Syria

Hizbullah Celebrates the Fall of al-Qusayr

hizbullah-qusayr

I was about to publish a post this morning about the different scenarios of a post-conflict Syria and their implications for Hizbullah, but someone sent me this photo and I couldn’t resist posting it.

What we have here is the scene of a couple Hizbullah volunteers handing out candies in celebration of the fact that “al-Qusayr has fallen”. Perhaps someone can confirm the precise neighborhood, but I’d be surprised if it were somewhere outside of al-Dahiyeh. The hubris evoked by this scene is deeply disturbing to me.

At home there tarries like a lurking snake,
Biding its time, a wrath unreconciled,
A wily watcher, passionate to slake,
In blood, resentment for a murdered child.

― Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Update: Some folks are claiming that this is a doctored picture. If someone can provide proof one way or the other, let me know. In either case, it seems a little bit beside the point to complain about the optics when the party has 5,000 men in Syria, on their way to Homs.

25 thoughts on “Hizbullah Celebrates the Fall of al-Qusayr

1. Reblogged this on YALLA SOURIYA.

Posted by #yallasouriya | June 5, 2013, 9:10 am
  2. Ahhh…reminds me of the good ‘ol days in Palestine after 9-11.

Resistance is such a good feeling…

Posted by Akbar Palace | June 5, 2013, 9:13 am
  3. actually, they are celebrating the liberation of Qusair from the takfiri forces, which Nasrallah rightly identified as the main danger threatening the Lebanese today (and no, that is not a contradiciton with previous positions stating ‘Israel is the main danger’, seeing as the two are for all practical purposes close objective allies)…

Posted by Bart | June 5, 2013, 9:29 am
  4. Middle-aged pot bellied men handing out sweets to strangers…?
    Interesting.

Posted by Blackstar | June 5, 2013, 10:11 am
  5. Where’s GWB when you need him?

Posted by Akbar Palace | June 5, 2013, 10:19 am
  6. Just a cautionary note when comparing Hezbollah’s role in Syria and the FSA and Jihadists: Here is the FSA spokesman saying if they lost in Qusay they will commit genocide (not massacres) … killing all Alawites and Shia.

Posted by Camille Alexandre Otrakji | June 5, 2013, 12:03 pm
  7. Good times…*eyeroll*

The madness continues. Stay tuned…

Posted by Bad Vilbel | June 5, 2013, 12:12 pm
  8. Camille, to be precise, what he is saying is that the FSA “absolutely does not wish that [ethnic cleansing] take place, but it will be a reality that is beyond the control of anyone.” He repeats that point. So it’s misleading to suggest that the FSA’s policy is to commit genocide. He is saying expressly that if al-Qusayr falls, Shiite and Alawite villages will be “wiped off the map”, but not because the FSA does the wiping.

Posted by Qifa Nabki | June 5, 2013, 12:12 pm
  9. Qifa Nabki – that’s a very silly distinction. If you don’t do what I say I want you to do, you will die. I’m not saying that I will do the killing but, I’m saying that you will die.

As you can see, that makes no sense.

Posted by Yaku Muzzle | June 5, 2013, 12:21 pm
  10. It’s a distinction made on a daily basis by Assadist media. And Nasrallah himself famously said a couple weeks ago that “with two words” we can send thousands of mujahideen to do their duty in Syria. What is that duty exactly? Let your imagination run wild.

Posted by Qifa Nabki | June 5, 2013, 12:24 pm
  11. Elias, you know what’s the simplest way of identifying one’s genuine feelings?

The first thing you say is genuine … THEN comes the corrections … the more politically correct modifications.

The man was threatening.

Posted by Camille Alexandre Otrakji | June 5, 2013, 12:30 pm
  12. I agree with Camille. The first time he talked about Shiite and Alawite villages was the true one, then came the corrections.

His body language, his tone, and his hand movement all indicate that he means what he is saying. I doubt we can find anywhere where Nasrallah issued any kind of similar genocide like threat.

Mind you, this is the FSA, the so-called moderates saying that.

I, by no means, condone or support Bashar massacring his countrymen, but the way things have been playing out, and as mush as I’d hate to admit it, but the more I hear what the Rebels in Syria say and do, the more I see that Hizbullah is doing the right thing.

Posted by Danny Elsayah | June 5, 2013, 1:21 pm
  13. Oh dear God! And you wonder why I start talking about stupidity around here, QN?
    I’m not entirely sure if it’s INTENTIONAL playing dumb or if people are really that dumb. Either way. It’s ridiculous.

Now folks are trying to argue that predicting something and threatening something are the same thing.

Here’s a prediction for you: Syria and Lebanon are both gonna run red with blood and many innocent civilians are going to die.
    Was that me making a threat? Hardly. I control no militias and have no weapons. Yet, my prediction is very likely true.

When will the ridiculous hubris end?

Posted by Bad Vilbel | June 5, 2013, 1:23 pm
  14. I predict Israel and Zionism will be the guilty party along with Sykes and Picot.

Posted by Akbar Palace | June 5, 2013, 1:29 pm
  15. I predict that the mish mash of districts known as Lebanon; will eventually thank HA for saving it from itself…as Nassrallh boasted about May 2008 events that he was saving the poor Lebanese from themselves…by killing them!!

Camille; are you so delusional that you want to believe every shred of propaganda…and the fall of Qusayr is celebrated as if the Berlin wall fell! Get a grip kids!

Posted by danny | June 5, 2013, 1:40 pm
  16. Bad Vilbel, the difference between a prediction and a threat, at least here, is its context, and the ability to enforce it. That guy is a high ranking officer in the FSA, and he has the capability of carrying on that threat he just issued.

Had you been a high ranking military officer in uniform, and had your prediction been made in a more public forum (say in an interview on a TV station), and had you made it in that tone and body language, I would be hard pressed to take it as a prediction only, even if you continue to assure me otherwise in your graceful and ultra-polite manner.

Posted by Danny Elsayah | June 5, 2013, 1:44 pm
  17. Yes! Yes! Let’s celebrate this great achievement!! Another blow to the imperialist and Zionist forces everywhere! We will kill Muslim Syrians to teach you a lesson!

Posted by danny | June 5, 2013, 1:46 pm
  18. Camille, I think you are on firmer ground when you critique established instances of atrocities, instead of trying to read people’s body language. 🙂

We can turn this into a pissing match, each of us posting our favorite videos of unsavory characters (shabbi7a, salafists, etc.) vowing to kill each other, but I don’t think that will help us to arrive at a clear picture of the reality of the situation. By demonizing even the moderates (i.e. FSA), what are you hoping to achieve, ya Camille? If you want to have a political solution, you need a political partner.

Posted by Qifa Nabki | June 5, 2013, 1:52 pm
  19. Are there not enough videos of Hezbollah saying they want to eliminate Israel? How should we interpret those?
    How about the favorite chant “Death to the US, death to Israel”? Let the spinning begin. Maybe I can’t read Hezbollah “body language” and they are in fact asking to join the Tel-Aviv gay pride parade. Looking forward to seeing their float.

Posted by AIG | June 5, 2013, 1:55 pm
  20. Danny ElSayah,

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the “narrative” from that side that the FSA are a bunch of nobodies and that it’s really the foreign Jihadi fighters and Al Nusra and the Salafis that constitute the “vast majority” of the rebels?
    Hasn’t the propaganda been that it is those guys who are really running the show?

How convenient that for the sake of this argument, all of a sudden, we’re now told that the FSA commanders have the ability to command their troops to commit sectarian genocide throughout Syria?

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t support any of this crazy violence on either side. But it irks me to no end when people pick and choose what “truths” to believe to shape their narrative. The same people will claim one day that the FSA have no power, that it’s all foreign jihadi fighters doing the rebel fighting, then the next day, the same person will suddenly throw up a video of an FSA officer “predicting” massacres to make a point.

And here’s another thing: You resistance supporters who were arguing yesterday (in the previous thread) about just causes and so on…Where’s your indignation that HA supporters are distributing sweets and celebrating the fact that thousands of people have been, at the very least, displaced, lost their homes or loved ones.
    Surely, not all of the inhabitants of Qusayr were foreign terrorists, right? Surely there were regular people there who lost a daughter, mother, or friend. Is it appropriate to celebrate this “divine victory” by handing out sweets and cheering in Dahieh?
    And here I thought the HA supporters were being portrayed to us as “the better men”. People who don’t relish the murder of innocents. People who only fight for a just cause.

*eyeroll*

Posted by Bad Vilbel | June 5, 2013, 1:55 pm
  21. QN,

You hit the nail on the head. Assad has no end game since he cannot live with real power sharing Lebanon style. It is inconceivable to him. Try getting what a solution looks like from Alex. It is like getting water from a stone. He won’t even say if he can live with religious parties in Syria.

Posted by AIG | June 5, 2013, 2:06 pm
  22. AIG

I in no way agree with Hizbullah or Iran when they start their chanting their idiotic “death to….”. I live in the US, I studied and worked here, and I am more grateful to this country than I could say.
    I’m not a staunch supporter of anyone and I would appreciate not being painted the broad brush that middle easterners like to use on each other.

BAD VILBEL

That might be the narrative from some. But from my reading of the situation, the FSA represents a sizable portion of the anti-Assad forces. Salfists do too.

I’ve known and “suffered” the situation in Lebanon and Syria for all my life. I have matured to realize, there are no good guys there. There are bad guys, really bad guys, and horrible guys.

In my view all sides are committing horrible atrocities, and to claim that the FSA somehow have developed higher moralities than the rest, when the FSA is mostly made of defected Syrian army elements is laughable. During the civil war in Lebanon, we witnessed first hand the “high moralities” of the Syrian army.

I am no fan of Assad, but I, as many, have a feeling we are facing a disastrous choice. Assad on one hand, and a potential of Al-Qaeda like groups on the other, who are publicly vowing to bring the Islamic Emirate to life. I’m not delusional, so I don’t see any Islamic Emirate happening, but what I can very easily see reprisals against Alawites and Christians happening once Assad falls.

Again, I may agree with Hizbullah in this, but I disagree with them on many issues. If you are looking for someone to blindly defend their every move, right or not, you have the wrong person. If they did distribute sweets in celebration, and they might very well have, that would be very distasteful. But, then again, this is Lebanese politics, and there is not much that is tasteful about it…

QN

A political solution would be ideal. But I do not see that happening, at least not yet. I still cannot tell if this is heading towards fragmentation into an Alawite/Christian state and a Sunni state living in relative calm, or towards a drawn out cold war with Iran/Russia on one hand and Qatar/KSA on the other, fighting till the last standing Syrian…..or maybe some of both.

Posted by Danny Elsayah | June 5, 2013, 2:40 pm
  23. Danny,

Well said. I agree with pretty much everything you said here. Specially the part about having matured to realize there are no good guys here. Only bad and worse.

I think that’s what gets me when I see the comments made by various people who, for lack of a better description, seem to have drank the kool-aid. I find it ridiculous that after all these years, after having lived through everything we lived through in Lebanon, ANYONE can still believe that there are good guys (on any side). That the one side they support, is somehow noble and just and fighting for a virtuous cause.
    Surprisingly, there seem to be MANY people in Lebanon who still believe that. And not surprisingly, there are people on ALL sides who are 100% convinced that THEIR cause, THEIR side, THEIR fighters are different, noble and just.

It is those kinds of comments, from those kinds of people, that get my blood boiling.

Posted by Bad Vilbel | June 5, 2013, 2:46 pm
  24. I guess its now just a matter of time before the first car bomb goes off in Dahiyeh, killing innocent civilians.

Posted by Whatever | June 6, 2013, 2:17 am